With the arrival of longer, warmer days, I know we're all anxious to resume our outdoors activities, regardless of what they are. Whether you're a gardener, a cyclist, a hiker, a grill master or a beach bum, the sunshine and lack of snow definitely makes life easier, and more pleasant, for many of us.
And there are so many benefits to being outside, regardless of the reason!
Not only do we get exposure to natural vitamin D thanks to good old mister golden sun, but heading outdoors can help improve our physical, mental and emotional health by simply being surrounded by the elements.
- Restored mental energy: Reverse mental fatigue by breathing in fresh air!
- Stress relief: Studies have been done to prove this! Spending some time among the trees helps reduce stress!
- Reduced inflammation: Inflammation causes disease. You want to reduce it in any way possible!
- Sharper thinking and creativity: I get my best waves of inspiration when hiking forest trails or sitting by the ocean!
- Immune system boost: Research strongly suggests that nature, particularly forests, have a beneficial effect that can help us fight off nasty illnesses!
- Improved mental health: Anxiety, depression and other mental health issues can all be eased by just spending a bit of time outdoors, especially when combined with exercise!
Note: If you’re going to be outside for any amount of time, please please please protect your skin by covering up with the appropriate clothing and/or using SPF protection!